Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I am federal!

So a handful of people know that behind the scenes story about me becoming a federal employee. Back in August, FBI pulled me out of court and told me that they wanted me to be their head paralegal for the chief counsel at FBI. A week earlier, ATF came and wanted me to join their team as well. I wasn't looking for a new job, but they were saying that they better get me before somebody else does. I am currently a CONTRACT paralegal, which means that I work at the USAO, but I do not get the same benefits, pay, etc. So my ultimate goal was to eventually become federal. So I went ahead with the application process with FBI and they gave me the job. I told my current work about it, and they "freaked" out. They immediately posted a federal paralegal spot the next Monday, and I applied. I told FBI that I couldn't accept the position quite yet, etc. This was all in November. I wanted to stay where I was, I hate change. So FBI kept on coming up with better offers, higher recruiting bonuses, a higher step, etc. I went and talked to my boss here at work, and asked him what they can guarantee me. I needed to know if I turned down the FBI if I pretty much had this position. They said they can only 98% guarantee me the position. So I official turned down FBI right after Christmas. I felt bad that I kept them stringing along for so long. I knew their background checks were extreme and long, so I wanted them to start on their other person.

In the meantime, I don't know if my work was mad at me for thinking about leaving or what, but they made me jump through HOOPS to get this position. I was used to FBI jumping through the hoops to get me on board, not the other way around. Up until yesterday, I really thought I shot myself in the foot, I was really depressed and frustrated, Zac was ready to sell our house and go to law school out of state, etc. They finally called me in and told me that I have the position. WHEW! Come to find out, the other candidate that was giving me a run for my money, ended up accepting the position at FBI that I turned down. What a small world. I am just grateful that I got it. Zac is quitting his job in a couple months, and we really need good benefits, so we will finally have it. :)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Yeah! Where was Zach going to go to school?