Monday, April 16, 2007

She can Climb!

Friday night, Aubrey was up most of the night, for no particular reason, she just wouldn't go to sleep. So on Saturday, when it was time for her nap, I put her down in her crib. She cried for about 15 minutes (which is longer than usual). Then I heard a 'thump' and an excited yell "I did it!" Then Aubrey opened the door with a huge smile and shouted again "I did it!" Yep, she can climb out of the crib. I have been dreading this moment. It is now time to switch her to a bed and take down the crib. I never had this problem with Eric, because I got pregnant with Aubrey so quick, I switched him over before I had Aubrey, he never had the chance to learn how to climb out of the crib.

I remember Mom telling me that one trip up to Grandma and Grandpa Parry's house, Justin screamed almost the whole way up (Mom only had Justin & Nathan at the time, and Nathan was a baby). When they got to Grandma and Grandpa's, it was late, so they put the kids to bed right when they got there. Nathan fell asleep immediately, and Mom thought Justin did too. (They had put him in a play pen) Mom went upstairs to play some cards with Grandma to unwind, and just as they were dealing the cards, Justin came running up the stairs screaming "I did it! I did it!" Mom told me she broke down crying. She was SO tired, and this was the first time Justin climbed out of the playpen / crib. I kind of felt like that when Aubrey climbed out. Eric was almost asleep, and I just wanted a LITTLE bit of time to myself. She never did end up taking a nap. I have had to battle her the past 2 nights, and I am ready for her to sleep again. Zac wants to make her a bed, so I am going to have to put the mattress on the floor for a little bit. ARG!

Zac is going to rent a backhoe this weekend to dig out our backyard. Our neighbor had the wonderful idea of creating MORE work for us. It is easier to show pictures than explain what he is doing, so I will post pictures of it next week. THEN the following week we are getting our shipment of sod in. I am SO excited to have some grass in our yard! The kids love playing in the dirt, but it drives me nuts how dirty they can get for only 10 minutes of playing. Eric was playing with his friend in our front yard, and when I came out to check on them, they were both laying down face first in the dirt, making "dirt angels" (kind of like backwards snow angels) SO DIRTY! I am ready for the sod!

Zac is wrapping up another semester, and has already signed up for Summer and Fall semester. I have to go to South Carolina next week for 2 weeks. So Zac and I have been lining up babysitters for the nights that Zac has class. Pretty much my Dad has taken the bulk of the Babysitting assignments. The kids even get to have their FIRST sleepover at Dad's house. Hopefully they do well.

This past lesson in Sunbeams was on "I am thankful for Birds and Insects", so we had the kids make some homemade bird feeders. I needed 13 pine cones, and in Eagle Mountain, there are absolutely NO pine trees anywhere. So I ended up going to Zac's cemetary and climbing a few trees to get enough pine cones. I also found some honey sticks in the health food store. Zac had never seen these before. I used to have honey sticks all the time growing up. (For those of you who are like Zac and don't know what these are, they are kind of like pixy sticks, except instead of flavored sugar inside, there is flavored honey) Part of the lesson ideas wanted the kids to taste honey. So I also made some homemade bread and brought honey for them to taste, then we were going to let the kids take the honey sticks home to eat. We had some parents call us wondering what in the world did we give their children. I went down to one of our neighbors homes, and the had put the honey sticks in the dirt, WHAT? Why would they go in the dirt? I probably should have sent an explanation home with the kids of what honey sticks were. I just thought that it was really weird that Zac had never seen honey sticks before...I guess he wasn't alone.

2 comments:

Barb said...

even I know what honey sticks are...my brother is so strange

Chad said...

Your entries are always so funny. I can just imagine the dirt angels. It's nice to read about someone who's life is much busier than my own. :)