Wednesday, June 14, 2006

When Dogs Attack




This post is part of a request that I received for people who didn't see the pictures of Bandit's attack on Eric. For those of you who don't know, Bandit, my families white dog, attacked Eric 3 weeks ago. It was really surprising. Bandit was not an agressive dog. He was even scared to death of Cosmo (the Millburn's cat). Cosmo ruled the yard when Cosmo lived with us. Eric ended up having 14 stitches, 3 of which were in his mouth. When they discharged us from the hospital, they didn't give us any instructions on what danger signs to look for. The ER didn't give us any antibiotics either, even though we requested them. Five days later, I went back to the ER to get his stitches out, and he had this huge infection. They said it was on it's way up to his brain. They immediately did CAT scans, and gave him high doses of antibiotics. We had to come back to the ER for 7 days straight to give him more antibiotics. Finally, he got his stitches out. They waited so long to take them out because they were afraid it they took them out, the infection would pop the wounds open again, and we would have to start over again by getting new stitches in.

Now, Eric is not only afraid of dogs, but every animal. At Lagoon, there were a family of geese running by the pavilion, Maysen, Jorja, and Eric all ran out to see them. Eric didn't get very far. So on the subject of Lagoon. That was by far the wettest year ever. I thought Aubrey would love the rides, but, I was wrong. Below I have a pic of her before the ride started, and then during the ride. That was her first and last ride (besides the train, but that doesn't really count) This was the first time ever that we were home by 7pm and able to watch 5 episodes of Arrested Development. I completely underestimated how funny George Michael is. Thanks Devin.

Eric started swimming lessons with his daycare. We needed to buy him a backpack to put his towel, change of clothes, etc in it. Eric has slept with this backpack every night since we got it. He is having so much fun with his lessons. He demonstrates on the carpet every night of what he learned.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Poor Eric. His attack was much worse than Andrew's. I hope he feels better soon. I am so glad your posting pictures - now I can see how big your kids are getting. They are adorable. Aubrey's face at the end of the ride is classic!

Anonymous said...

Those are sweet pictures. That's crazy that Bandit would do that. Imagine the torture Eric must have put the dog through before it reached its breaking point. That boy must have some skills.