Sunday, November 30, 2008

Crazy week

This week has been a crazy week. Work seemed to fly by. We ended up going to Zac's Aunt's house for Thanksgiving. We had a great time. When we were leaving Zac's Aunt gave Aubrey a toy dog. She has been taking it everywhere with her. We brought it to Dad's house and scared his dog Chaucer...it was pretty good. So Nathan found out on Monday that he got the job with the Utah Highway Patrol. He starts in 2 weeks and will be for Utah County. They are really excited. I guess they only had 1 open position in Utah County, the rest were for SLC. It was highly unlikely for him to get a Utah County position, but they want him for it. Congrats Nathan!

On Friday, I stopped at Dad's house for a moment. Dad came and sat by me and Devin and said, "I'm doing something crazy." I said, "What, putting up the Christmas tree?" For those of you who know my Dad he HATES putting up the tree. He goes, "No, I'm going on a date." So my Dad started dating this weekend. It sounds like it's getting serious pretty fast. As Devin said (and I am paraphrasing, I can't remember the EXACT words he used) "Dad doesn't do anything slow. He thought, maybe I'll get a dog in the summer (this was said after Christmas last year). The next day he came home with Chaucer. He said, I am thinking about maybe having the missionaries come live here. The next couple of days the missionaries were here. When he says he needs to be married to go on a mission, and by the way, I'm going on a date, he will be married by the end of the month." He ran into my Mom's best friend Diane the other day, and he asked her out for lunch. They spent most of Friday together, then he took her to Temple Square to see the lights last night and dinner. They are going out again tomorrow, etc. She will be coming to Sunday dinner. They really seemed to have clicked. They have a lot in common. My Dad works as an ordinance worker in the temple on Tuesday nights, so does she. She was my Young Women President growing up and I was good friends with one of her daughters. They both want to go on missions pretty much their entire retirement. She owns her home in Lehi, and her daughters are all married and live in Saratoga Springs. Their dates consisted mostly of talking about Mom. It's weird thinking about my Dad dating...it will be four years this January since my Mom died. I don't want him to be alone for the rest of his life, but it is still weird to think that our entire family can change so fast. I guess if he was going to date someone, I would want it to be someone who knew and loved my Mom, and could share in some stories about her. When he first told me, it almost felt like he was cheating on my Mom. I'm now starting to get used to the idea. I really do quite like Diane. She has some of the same characteristics as my Mom, which may be the reason why my Dad likes her. He may be furious that I'm posting this entry...but this affects me and my family, and this blog is like my journal. Dad was telling me that if they do get married, Diane has already said that she wants pictures of Mom up everywhere, like we have now. She wants us all to still talk about her. When we visit her grave, she wants to visit it with us. Dad told her that he is going to be buried with Mom. She said she wouldn't have it any other way. She has said a lot more other positive things about this. She seems to be understanding about our situation, and doesn't want to impose on it. So today at Sunday dinner my Dad told my Grandpa (who is in his 90's) that he went on some dates. My Grandpa's response, "Does she have a sister?" haha I laughed so hard. Anyways, I guess nothing really happened to ME this week, so I had to talk about other people's. :)

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm glad your dad is comfortable having everything out in the open. Going straight from "I'm never dating again" to "I'm getting married" is not fun. I'm curious, is Diane a widower as well?

Heather said...

No. She has been divorced for about 20 years though. It definitely will be a change! :)

Brett - Rachel B said...

I think she sounds like a really cool person. More importantly your dad sounds like a really smart guy. I think he'll make the right decision and it's rad that you can be so open about it. (We like to know this kind of stuff- it keeps us connected!)
Also, it's really cool that you have talked about the important things early on, like "will he be buried with her" and "will she visit your mom with the family" and that she is active in church.
It's hard to live without companionship, so I hope the best works out (whatever that choice might be!)
Rachel

Lisa said...

"Does she have a sister?"....I am laughing out loud right now. Grandpa cracks me up!!! I am happy Dad is happy.

Ashley said...

Ok...so I have tears in my eyes right now. I'm happy for your Dad, but I'm still so sorry about your Mom. Your right....your Dad deserves to be happy again. But it will be a big change, and a hard one. Sounds like an amazingly strong woman though. Keep us updated!!!