Sunday, September 04, 2011

Foam Fest 5k

 We went up to Idaho Falls this weekend to run in the Foam Fest 5k on Saturday.  Paul put together a family team.  It was so fun to have everyone there and all those who came to watch.  Dad and Diane drove up EARLY Saturday morning to come watch us race.
 Here's our group at the starting line.  I was expecting this race to be as crowded as the Dirty Dash.  Nope.  That's okay - it gave us better odds of winning!  Paul actually came in 2nd place.  He would have been 1st if he didn't fall at the slide.  So close!
 We are just about to go into the Sand Dunes.  What a nightmare!  There was about 2 miles of this race in the sand!  Your feet would just sink in the sand.  It was next to impossible to run in it.  I wore my water shoes to this race instead of running shoes.  They filled up VERY quickly with sand.  The only good thing about it was I was able to take them off and on really fast to empty them out.
 I was so surprised to see Grandma and Grandpa come out and watch us race!!!  It was so great having them come out and support us.  Grandma looks great in this picture!
 Ahh the mud.  I had strict instructions to Aubrey that she was not allowed near the mud.  As you can see in this video, she did not listen.  Grandpa and Nana who were watching the kids while we raced took a video of them in the mud. 
After running in the sand we came to the mud pit.  By this point you are just exhausted!  Justin, Lisa and Andrew made it there before me.  The whole time I was running I kept on seeing my 11 year old nephew with all the energy in the world just running fast.  I didn't want to walk in the sand until I saw him start walking...I ended up walking a lot sooner than he did.
 By this point I was grateful for the "break" in the race where we were allowed to crawl.
 The entire time I am in the mud pit I could hear my kids cheering, "Go Mommy!"  That's when I looked and saw Aubrey covered in mud.  Dang girl.  Way too tempting for her.
 After the mud pit we stopped for a photo.  Mike is putting mud in Jordyn's hair as the picture is being taken.

 The water was so cold!  All the kids were shivering.  Eric, Madison and Andrew were getting ready to run the "Rugrat 1mile" race at 11:30.  Right when they ran past the starting line, Eric fell and got hurt.  Not bad - he just scraped his hands and knees.  It was enough though to make him want to quit running.  I didn't want my race money to go to waste, so I slapped Eric's race bib on Aubrey and made her run the race.
 This is Aubrey in the foam.  Notice the camera man.  He was following Aubrey around like crazy.  He is in almost every one of my Dad's pictures of Aubrey.  That is Aubrey crossing the finish line.  She loved it!
After the race we went back to Justin's house.  They watched football game after football game after football game.  Lisa and I caught a matinee during one of the games.  It was a great weekend!  The kids had so much fun playing with their cousins.  It was great to visit with my grandparents as well.  Aubrey loves going over there.  She was so excited when Grandpa Parry let her eat raspberries.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

That was so much fun. I was wondering how it was possible for your kids to have that much mud on them. The video answered my question.

Amy Conklin said...

How fun!