Friday, July 22, 2011

Dresses/Attempted Carjacking/Crazy Hours

 My co-worker has started a side business making dresses.  She needed some models for the dresses, and since I have 3 girls, she approached me about them modeling the dresses.
 In exchange for taking the girls pictures in her dresses, I get to keep the dresses.  Not too shabby!
 There was a mix-up about their hair.  She told me that she was bringing headbands for their hair.  So, I left their hair down so it would be easier to style with the headbands.  She didn't get the headbands finished until after the photo shoot.  So picture these dresses with matching headbands with the same flower as on their dresses as in their hair.
 
 
 
I have been working crazy hours recently.  80-90 hour weeks.  I had a 5 week trial that just began this past Monday.  There has been a lot of preparation that has needed me to be at the office every day.  2 Sunday's ago, I had an attempted carjacking.  Right outside my office!  I am FINE - I was just really shook up after it happened.  Here are the details that I had to report to my work security:

'At 12:30 today I parked my car on State Street by the bus stop in between our office and the Federal Building.  When I parked the car, my doors automatically unlocked.  3 Hispanic males came over to my car.  One immediately opened up my passenger door.  I looked at him and say, “No, no.” (Thinking that he thought I was his ride.)  He looked at me and glared and continued to open the car.  I immediately locked my doors and jumped over and grabbed the door and shut it.  He went to the rear passenger door and tried to open it, then moved back to the passenger door.  He started to bang my window.  His 2 buddies came over and 1 went to the rear passenger door, and the other went around to the driver’s side.  They all started banging on my windows and trying to open the doors.  I put my car in drive and took off.
As I was rounding the block, I ran into my co-worker who was walking outside.  I yelled for him to come in my car.  We went back to the scene and they were all still there.  He told them that we were calling the police.  They all stood up and took off.  I called 911 and paced them as they were going away.  The police came and found out that they are all from Honduras here illegally.  They had a knife on them.

After I gave my witness statement, the police told me I could go back to the office.  They told me they had crime scene on the way down to take fingerprints and photographs.  So I went back to the office.'

 After I sent my e-mail out, it was forwarded to the USMS and the FBI.  They discovered that the police let them all go!!!  They told the FBI that because I never actually saw the knife and they never laid their hands on me, that they didn't have enough.  My office and USMS and FBI are all outraged.  Even if there wasn't a weapon involved, if I feared for bodily injury, it could be considered carjacking.  The Hondurans gave the police a false address and phone numbers (shocking I know).  Currently the USMS and FBI are looking for them.  They have a picture of what they look like.  The only unsettling thing is they (the Hondurans) all know what I look like, what car I drive, where I park, and where I work.  Awesome.  I am on strict orders of being escorted everywhere I go for the next month.  Oh, and I forgot to mention that they have a strong suspicion they are affiliated with a gang.  And the very next day after this happened, our parking garage got 'tagged' with a large 'skull' decal.  Nobody knows if there was a connection.  

 I am writing about this not to worry anyone, but more for a record.  I use this blog for a journal.  I haven't felt my security or my families security threatened since this incident.  I've been too busy working to worry about it.  My office has now incorporated changes in security about where we can park on weekends and after hours.  They are even having an office briefing about this incident soon.


Anyways - in other news - Lily is walking extremely well now.  She is now attempting to run.  Because I have worked so many hours, I am usually gone before the kids wake up, and come home after they are in bed.  I was home 2 weeks ago when Lily took her 1st steps.  The next time I saw her awake was this past Sunday and she was completely walking.  I missed the entire stage of her life learning how to walk.  That sucks.  I feel extremely guilty.  It makes me sad thinking about it.  Unknown to me, Eric has been trying to wake up when he hears me above his room (he sleeps in the basement.)  One morning he ran upstairs and I was already gone.  He asked Zac if I had already left, Zac told Eric that I did.  Eric slumps over and says, "This is the only time I get to see her."  And went down to his room crying.  Yet, another wonderful mom moment.  I am so sick of this trial and it has only been going for a week.  I have been working my tail off on it since March, and crazy hours since the end of June beginning of July.  I hate missing out on my kids lives.


Zac has been taking pictures of the kids while I have been at work.  I am too tired to post them.  I will post them another day.  For now, I am going to sleep.

5 comments:

FitzSimmons Times said...

Oh Heather! I feel your pain! I remember Leonard calling me at work when Kaydra took her first steps -- I missed them and, of course, I started crying at work. You are an awesome mom and you guys are just trying your best! Hopefully the trial ends soon and you can see them a little more!!
So scary about the car jacking! BE CAREFUL!!

Tammi said...

The dresses are darling! So glad you stayed calm and that your office has taken extra precautions. Mostly grateful the story ended that way!!!!

Jackie said...

I love the pictues of your little girls and of your mom. I remember that little house---we use to go there when Mark and I were first married. So grateful that you are safe and so mad that the police let them go----if they were illegal????????? You're a great mom--you will have many memories with those cute kids of yours!!

Stephanie said...

I'm glad you are a quick thinker to get your doors locked and the door shut. I would have sat there paralyzed. Hope you get to work regular hours soon.

Kristie said...

You are such a tough chick. I would have just freaked out.
I know youre having hard mom moments but be glad that they are home with dad and not in day care. And he is taking record of the big moments in their lives. (This may or may not help, but I think youre wonderful!)